Thursday 8 March 2018

Napoleonic gaming and using D3 dice

With a lull in the French Indian War campaign collaboration, it has provided some time for me to try out using the D3 dice for a couple of Napoleonic games. With these games I have been using a variation of the One Hour Wargames (OHW) Horse and Musket rules.

The different dice mean for the shooting and hand-to-hand combat rules, hits instead of being determined with D6-2, D6 and D6+, are translated to D3-1, D3 and D3+1. For target units in cover rather than halving the number of hits, I subtract 1 from the score. This does mean cover is not quite so effective for defending units.

For convenience of tracking unit hits (using a D6 dice placed behind a unit) they are eliminated on taking more than 6 hits. This is a reduction in a unit's resilience which I try and offset by allowing commanders to rally their troops and remove hits.

(Using a D3 it takes 3 average scores of 2 to have a unit at the verge of elimination, where the OHW rules would take 4 average scores of  3.5.)

To date I have played two games using the D3 variation, and it is so far, so good.

My Napoleonic games are not played on a grid and use free movement instead. I have been trying to figure out why I have a preference for avoiding a grid with my Napoleonic games. One thing I put it down to is my like of the old prints of battles with their lines of troops tightly packed at different angles, looking quite chaotic, and lots of musket smoke.

A Napoleonic game with gunpowder smoke used not just to mark units that have fired, but also to improve the look of a game.
An example of the type of print that captures my imagination when wargaming
A gridded game using squares in this instance has the disadvantages of spreading out the units and does not convey the aesthetic. This is all somewhat strange, the uniformity of a grid does not bother me for my French Indian War games, but does with my Napoleonic games. Anyway, given my like for using a grid I am wondering whether a hex grid many create that look for me and be a better option.
Similar game size using a square grid.
Making a hex grid might be on the cards this weekend. Although, I am also wanting to build a star fort for the French Indian War campaign, as I suspect their may be a siege game at some point.

11 comments:

  1. Peter- I can see your point regarding grids vs free-form placement of troops- as far as aesthetics go...I must admit that the only 'grid' game I've played is Chess...and the Board Game -'Kingmaker'.
    I guess it is a case of applying whatever pleases us most in the style and type of game we choose to arrange - there isn't anyone to be critical of your choice and we only have ourselves to please. Do like your Napoleonic print. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For my Napoleonic games I suspect will be going with free movement.

      Delete
  2. I share your like for a "proper" ( ie whatever one's own personal preference is) aesthetic for games. I find that the smoke also makes it easier to follow the action when looking at photos. ( A down side to the smokeless powder era!)

    For Napoleonic/ACW etc games I find that part of the look/feel of the prints come from the crowded battlefield. Adding more units and allowing them to face an angle as well as a face will really help get the look of the print without changing the grid. (Mind you if you look carefully at the print, the units are almost all either aligned or at right angles...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, prints of the ACW are especially fascinating to look at.
      It may be the 6 inch square is too big for my 4 inch width stands.
      The facing of a stand within a square itself is interesting. In the FIW games I play, the facing is free form and determines a units firing arc. Squares only determine movement and range.

      Delete
  3. I don't think there is really any getting away from the fact that grids are mechanical and that open is aesthetically 'right' on the eye. In practice, once you start playing and get drawn into the game, the aesthetic (or lack of) of the grid largely disappears as the mechanics, ease of play and fun take over. But stand back and look and the hex is jarring compared to open and free flow.

    I like playing my ACW stuff on a grid system, but I am very unhappy how a unit (2 bases) looks on the 4" hex grid, while 3 28mm bases just look really nice to my eyes, but then getting he measure to the middle of the open table while trying to negotiate trees etc, makes me want my grid, just for its functionality.

    The downside of the 4" grid is trying to get figures and terrain into the same space and the more dense the terrain, the more annoying this becomes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fitting terrain and troops into a grid can be a pain. Something I have not resolved to my own satisfaction.

      Delete
    2. Terrain and a grid approach are a bit of a conundrum. I have with my WW2 games allowed two units to occupy an open square and only one unit in cover square. That way there is room for terrain to fit into a square with a unit.

      Delete
    3. that's an interesting idea.

      Delete
    4. ...and artillery barrage hits both units in an open square.

      Delete
  4. Peter, your game table even without smoke looks splendid. With smoke added, even more so.

    As for a lull in the FIW campaign, you play fast! Your Game 3 results were posted only a couple of days ago. You will have an important battle to fight for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent. We have a long weekend here in Melbourne and I am planning on making a good start on the star fort and supporting siege terrain needs. Working on siege rule ideas and trying to remember to take a simple OHW approach.

      Delete