Sunday 24 December 2017

Spencer Smith Napoleonic Armies painted

This week I have been able to finish off the last few cavalry and artillery units required for my plastic Spencer Smith Napoleonic armies. The painting is very simplistic and uniforms somewhat generic with a War of the Third Coalition look.

The figures are mainly old plastic Napoleonic miniatures with a few converted ACW figures and SYW artillery miniatures. I was hoping to add to the collection with a recent eBay auction of a few cavalry and old guard, but lost out in the last hour of bidding unfortunately.

Austrian and Russian Units 
French units
All landed out on my 6x4 tabletop
A final few figures completed today added commanders and some converted standard bearers (as there are none in the range).

I started these armies back in early August and have over the last five months been able for the most part focus on painting them. Although there was one small diversion to paint WW2 Burma units for some Crossfire games.

It is pleasing to complete this project and be able to play a few games over the Christmas holidays.

Commander
Standard bearers drying on the painting table before adding some more colour to the tabletop. Depending upon the rules they may represent brigade commanders.
Next year I may add to the collection with some new metal figures from the range. I really like the Hussars and another couple of units would be good.

10 comments:

  1. Must feel good to have this lot on parade so quickly in such numbers and looking so well.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do like the simplicity of the miniatures which do lend themselves to a quick style of painting. Merry Christmas

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed your parade and thanks for the past year of interesting posts. Best Wishes, Norm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should be proud of this collection. Some good work there.

    I have masses of Spencer Smith ACW which are either finished or not started. I must do them one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am very pleased with how they have turn out. They were actually quite enjoyable to paint in numbers. Merry Christmas

      Delete
  4. These look great. There aren't that many examples of painted Spencer Smith's out there so it's nice to see a lot of them grouped together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have been able to add a couple more units to the armies through second hand purchases since this blog post.

      Delete
  5. They look fab. I'm just starting out on the road you are travelling. I've not come across any SS artillery in plastic yet. I've got about three hundred figures, mostly infantry and two cavalry regiments (depending on which rules I settle on) but no plastic guns as yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Sounds like you have the making of a couple of armies (depending on rules used). I struggled with artillery, I did have some but the plastic had become brittle and broke, wheels in particular.

      Delete