Thursday 27 July 2017

Filling in time between projects

Not much painting happening at the moment as I determine how to approach my next project. So I am filling in time a bit this week by painting up a stay cannon I had floating around. It was an extra I received when I originally purchased my original Spencer Smith ACW figures in the late 70's or early 80's.

The final French Indian War unit - a static unit for use with the fort
For some reason I had a hankering to have a WW2 game. It has been a while since I last played a game in this period. Back then I was trying out a few rule changes to the One Hour Wargame WW2 rules.

The rules I was trying out were:

  1. When a unit shoots at a target other units can provide supporting fire. For example, an infantry unit shooting at another infantry unit has two friendly units within range of the target, can roll 3 dice and select the highest scoring dice.
  2. Only half of the units in a force may perform an action, moving or shooting. Units providing supporting fire do not count as taking an action.
  3. Supporting fire can come from units which have moved. This allows some units to move up and be engaged in an attack by support another unit's shooting.
A grid-based WW2 game underway
I am quite liking the way the rule changes are working for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I am always a bit dubious when all a forces units can move, it does not feel right. Only moving up to half of the units causes a forces units to move in phases. Seconding, supporting fire allows units which have not taken an action to be involved.


No comments:

Post a Comment