Thursday 5 May 2016

Testing out activation mechanism for SciFi rules

I am continuing to mess around with my activation mechanism for the SciFi rules. Having opted for option 2 (as described in my previous post) where I roll an extra "Turn" dice when rolling for control, and ending the turn if a 1 is rolled. I have now played a couple of games and the "Turn" dice is working for me. Additionally, when a 6 is rolled the player winning control can either remove an activation from a unit, potentially allowing a unit two actions in a turn, or add 2 extra dice when attacking (an increased weapon strength suggested by Kaptain Kobold). These help add some little surprises when playing solo games.

A couple of pictures from one of the games.
A test game in progress - Space Marines vs. Necrons
A final show down between commanders

2 comments:

  1. Did you find you got many turns where one side had activations and the other didn't, or where neither side did much? How many uits per side were you using?

    I like your rewards for rolling a '6'; the possible extra move is a nasty surprise for an opponent :)

    Of course, having shown pictures of your Necrons in action, you'll have to share your stats for them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The number of units per side was approximately 10-13 as both armies are quite tough. For the space marines I had an army attribute of commander (your idea - thanks) where they always won drawn player control rolls. The games lasted around 20 turns so there was a mix of very short, one activation, and all units activated turns. Picking up on the use of an army attributes, for Tyranids - I will be having hordes attribute where they can activate 2 units if they gain control with a 5 or 6. I will post Necro lists in the next few days.
    Cheers Peter

    ReplyDelete