Sunday 21 February 2016

WW2 Grid-Based Wargaming

I managed to get in a couple of small games this week to test out the house rules based on One-Hour Wargame style games. Originally I was not planning to use a square grid for this period. However, after reading through Simulating War (by Philip Sabin) I decided to have-a-go with a grid and persevere. I have now pretty much settled on the basic rules and have written up my notes this weekend.
Towards the closing stages of a test game
As a change to trying to condense all the rules on to a single page or sheet of double sided paper. I plan to spend a bit more time and include rule examples to help with explaining how they work.


I am using WWII Army Organisation and Equipment (by Ian Shaw) to help me organise my forces. It was produced by Tabletop Games in the early eighties, and bought from Games Centre by sending a letter with an enclosed cheque for the princely sum of one pound eighty.

British Infantry Battalion

In terms of painting I still have 4 units to complete, and I am on the lookout for an Airfix Tiger Tank at my local hobby shops. I could order it online, but part of the fun of this WW2 project for me has been the nostalgia of the kits (particularly Airfix) and going to the local hobby store and finding that kit you were after.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Peter,
    I have looked over Thomas' Wargaming: an Intoduction WWII rules, and sadly they are for skirmish level gaming only. He includes 10 unit types in this set. Infantry types are Rifles (including Cyclists and Cavalry if mounted), Paratroopers, Armored Infantry, and Tank Riders; all at 9 individually-mounted figures apiece with varying combinations of rifes, SMGs, and most have 1 LMG). Reconnaissance can be 1 armored car or 6 figures with transport. Heavy Weapons includes 1 each of HMG & Mortar & infantry AT weapon. Tank, Assault gun, and AT gun units are one stand; and Barrage is an off-board artillery shoot.
    I have 3 problems with these rules. 1. Skirmish level. 2. Saving throws. 3. They look so good I may have to try them anyway. :)
    So I was thinking I might use them with my 1/72 vehicles (which are mostly recon and other light vehicles), and use platoon- or company-sized stands with my 1/87 vehicles for larger actions with main battle tanks.
    Just what I needed, another diversion.

    Looking forward to seeing your finalized rules.
    Regards,
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John - So far I am using 10 types of units (normally representing a company) they are: infantry, motorised infantry, armoured infantry, reconnaissance, tanks, tank destroyers, self-propelled artillery, artillery, mortars, and anti-tank guns. I have yet to get to anti-aircraft, aircraft and engineers. Kind regards, Peter

      Delete