Saturday 28 October 2017

Finishing off long grass for jungle terrain

In my last post I mentioned the teddybear fur I used for long grass and under growth in my WW2 Burma game, and that I thought it was a bit too dark and shinny. There were a couple of comments with suggestions on how to sort this out (Thanks - Norm and Natholeon). So this weekend I popped down to the local hardware store and bought a spray can of beige/tan looking paint.

After a quick and successful test with a smaller piece. All the fur was laid out a given a series of very light spays which provided highlights and also toned down the shininess.
Green teddybear fur cut up as long grass and under growth for WW2 Burma games
The effects after a very light spaying 
With troops added
Pleased with the effect on the fur. I thought I would give the same treatment a try on the dark green felt I use for woods in other games.

Before spraying
After spraying
Not quite as effective as the grass, a light spraying has generally just lightened the dark green felt.

2 comments:

  1. Not a bad effect at all. I was also going to suggest running a fine tooth comb through the fur to unclump some of the bits that ended up stuck together. You just need to be careful not to pull out the fur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found a very light spray, almost dusting, dried quickly and with a quick rub with a dry cloth (once dried) removed any bits being stuck together. Thanks.

      Delete